Today my husband and I celebrate our 30th anniversary! When 1/2 of all marriages end in divorce, 3 decades is an amazing accomplishment! 10,950 days ago we were head-over-heels in love. Still are. But staying through the tough times is hard damn work.
If you want to know how we did/do it, here are just some of the highlights:
- *Forgive even when you’re really pissed. Forgive when it’s easy. Forgive.
- *Apologize even when you probably shouldn’t or don’t want to.
- *Don’t be quick to criticize. You leave the cap off the toothpaste at times, too.
- *Compliment the good stuff as often as possible.
- *Have fun! Be silly.
- *Leave love notes & send texts just because.
- *Tell your spouse you love them every day.
- *Spend time apart. Often. It gives you an opportunity to miss each other.
- *Argue fair and when you can’t, wait for the right time to voice your opinion.
- *Clean up your messes (I hope my husband reads this)
- *Say thank you A LOT
- *Do something you know your spouse likes even when you don’t.
- *Pray a lot
- *Compromise as often as you can
- *Go to bed angry. Pray, and wake up with a new perspective.
- *Be nice even when you’re frustrated
I wish I could say I have the perfect husband, I am the perfect wife, and marriage is easy. I don’t. I’m not. It isn’t. But it’s made me a better and stronger person by enduring the tough stuff. Knowing someone always has my back, in good times and bad, in sickness and in health is a darn good feeling. And you know, that is almost perfect.